IPv4 Exhaustion...

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jul 23 18:14:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Positively Optimistic
<positivelyoptimistic at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do ISPs  handle RIAA notices when NATTING customers.. ?   We have
> several customers that don't require public address space that could be
> moved to private..   We're reluctant to make the move due to legal
> liabilities..

Answer 1. Log the translations so you can match the source/destination
ports and timestamp back to the real customer.

Answer 2. "We were unable to locate the offending material / identify
the offending customer using the information you provided. We have
narrowed it to one of <count> customers and preserved the relevant
logs. Please contact us at 123-456-7890 and reference ticket 5432 for
further assistance."

"The IP address you specified is a multiuser access point. If you let
us know the IP address on your end, we can watch for it inside our
network for the next 24 hours and determine which customer is talking
to it. We're unable to historically determine which customers
interacted with your IP address."

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004