Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

Alex Band alexb at ripe.net
Wed Jul 21 20:11:05 UTC 2010

Hi Owen,

The RIPE NCC does actually ask for an addressing plan before we allocate a /32 IPv6, so I didn't phrase my opening email 100% accurate; we don't just blindly hand it out. On the other hand, we don't do rigorous checks if it is actually any good, or appropriate for their network.

What we see in the real world, is that many LIRs haven't requested a v6 allocation yet because they simply wouldn't know where to begin making an addressing plan. Then there is the group that sent in an addressing plan, got their allocation, and starting trying some things implementing it. In a lot of cases, they get stuck because reality was a lot different than what they thought it would be, and put the allocation in a drawer since it's not that urgent yet.

This exercise is for both those groups. Just to get them going, understanding the basics.

Cheers,

Alex