v6 bgp peer costs?

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at marcoh.net
Wed Jul 21 19:22:14 UTC 2010

On 21 jul 2010, at 21:08, Zaid Ali wrote:

> I currently have a v4 BGP session with AS 701 and recently requested a v6
> BGP session to which I was told a tunnel session will be provided (Same
> circuit would be better but whatever!). Towards the final stage in
> discussions I was told that it will cost $1500. I find this quite ridiculous
> and it will certainly not motivate people to move to v6 if providers put a
> direct price tag on it. I am going through a bandwidth reseller though so I
> am not sure who is trying to jack me here. Has anyone here gone through a
> similar experience?

I think the main question here would be, what they would charge for a change to a v4 session. Most likely they just decided that setting up the tunnel and configuring BGP takes time and since time is money they decided to charge for you. Seems like a reasonabe rule of business, why should it be free ? At the same time, the same set of economics will probably find you somebody who will do this for less and maybe even is happy to take your business and setup v4/v6 dual stack for free.

So get a quote from a competitor, call back 701 and offer them the choice of setting up the tunnel or loose a customer. My personal preference would be to leave and find somebody who can do native all the way.

MarcoH