On another security note... (of sorts)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Jul 16 14:42:40 UTC 2010

On Thursday, July 15, 2010 02:40:50 pm Michael Holstein wrote:
> > Why is it that network operators can't work together
> > on instances like this and have a "botnet killswitch"

> Trust (or lack thereof).

That's certainly one of the biggest non-technical reasons.  Others go by the acronyms NIH and NIMBY.

But to me it boils down to some hard questions: what is a botnet, who gets to make that definition, what is a killswitch, and who is allowed to push it?

I'm sure the collective wisdom here is capable of pulling the task off at least in theory; the hard part would be deciding whether to do it in hardware or software....