Vyatta as a BRAS

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Jul 15 16:33:09 UTC 2010

> On Jul 15, 2010, at 10:23 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
> > For example, for a provider whose entire upstream capacity is 1Gbps, I ha=
> ve a hard time seeing how a Linux- or FreeBSD-based box could credibly be c=
> laimed not to be a suitable edge router.
>
> Because it can and will be whacked quite easily by anyone who packets it, e=
> ither deliberately or inadvertently.  I've seen too many software-based rou=
> ters fall over with far, far less traffic than 1gb/sec to think otherwise.

You seem to be off in your own little world.  Provided with a
counterexample where this isn't true, you simply ignore it.  Your
arguments revolve around "My Ford Pinto's gas tank once exploded on me
and it happened to other people too, therefore all inexpensive cars have
unsafe gas tanks."

The sad reality is that any gas tank can be ruptured and can be made to
explode, but concluding that this is limited to inexpensive cars is a
silly conclusion.  The fact of the matter is that a /poorly engineered/
gas tank is much more prone to problems, whether it's in an inexpensive
car or a high end one.

You're drawing poor conclusions based on even poorer reasoning.  Your
negative experience with some software routers does not mean that they
are all crap, just as my negative experience with some hardware routers
does not mean that they are all crap.

... JG