Vyatta as a BRAS

Cian Brennan cian.brennan at redbrick.dcu.ie
Thu Jul 15 16:01:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:54:39AM -0400, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 15, 2010, at 10:23 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
> >
> >> For example, for a provider whose entire upstream capacity is 1Gbps, I have a hard time seeing how a Linux- or FreeBSD-based box could credibly be claimed not to be a suitable edge router.
> >
> > Because it can and will be whacked quite easily by anyone who packets it, either deliberately or inadvertently.  I've seen too many software-based routers fall over with far, far less traffic than 1gb/sec to think otherwise.
>
> Since you've seen "many software-based routers fall over", can you
> provide details on specific hardware/software/traffic patterns/rates
> where you've seen these failures?   From what I can tell, software
> based routers are almost universally used in SOHO environments; so it
> would be nice to know when such solutions are no longer viable in your
> experience.

SOHO environmnents aren't normally targets of DOS attacks. And if they are,
their pipes are probably small enough to be easily filled with far less
difficulty than making the router fall over.

I'm almost certain they're not the uses that Roland is saying that software
routers are entirely unsuited for.