Vyatta as a BRAS

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jul 14 19:05:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> I wasn't aware that the 7206 and M20 classified as software-based.

I don't see why you could call it anything but a software router.  That's
sort of why things like it and the 7500 before it lasted so long.  As the
thing ages, cisco comes out with new NPE (or RSP/VIP) processors with
faster CPUs / more memory capacity that are able to move more packets.
i.e. NPE-100->NPE-150->NPE-200->NPE-225->NPE-300->NPE-400->NPE-G1->NPE-G2

You could start with a VXR with NPE-225 and keep upgrading the CPU and
keep the thing in service with the same interface cards 15 years or more.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |