Vyatta as a BRAS

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Jul 14 15:44:11 UTC 2010

On Jul 14, 2010, at 10:17 PM, Joe Greco wrote:

> The truth is that you can keep throwing CPU at a problem as well.  I can size a software based router such that it can remain available.

Not against mpps, or even high kpps, you can't, unfortunately.

> Software based platforms have an incredible edge in areas that hardware based platforms don't, including capex and the ability to find replacement parts after a disaster.

I agree 100% with this, and with much of what you say.  My point is that at the *edge* - like a BRAS, which is how this thread started - one must have platforms which can be adequately protected against attack/abuse, and hardware-based platforms are the only practical way to do that.

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken