Vyatta as a BRAS

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Wed Jul 14 13:59:39 UTC 2010

* Roland Dobbins:

> On Jul 14, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> There's also the question of IP options (or extension headers). 8-)
>
> I know that some modern hardware-based routers have the ability to
> either ignore options, or to drop option packets altogether.

There might be contractual reasons not to enable that feature. 8-/
Some vendors can process options in hardware, though.

> I believe the same is now true of IPv6 extension-headere, or soon
> will be.  You're absolutely correct that this is a significant
> possible attack vector, causing the packets in question to be
> punted, if there isn't a mechanism available to ignore them or to
> drop said packets.

It's probably not a high-priority issue for vendors until there are
network issues (as opposed to potential problems seen in labs), so
it's going to take quite a bit of time.  Demand for devices with some
IP-layer inspection capability that can handle (Fast or Gigabit)
Ethernet at line rate, no matter what type of frames come in, is also
a pretty recent thing, and I would be surprised if vendors can provide
such capabilities across their entire relevant product line (where
they advertise line-based forwarding).

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99