Vyatta as a BRAS

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jul 13 21:03:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:11:45 -0000, "Dobbins, Roland" said:

> During the Code Red/Nimda period (2001), and on into the Slammer/Blaster/Nachi
> period (2003), all the routers I personally know of which were adversely
> affected were software-based, didn't make use of ASICs for forwarding.

Cisco 7206VXF apparently had some issues dealing with it:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2003-September/005578.html

Slammer's use of multicast addresses melted down at least a few large Cisco and
Juniper boxes:

http://paintsquirrel.ucs.indiana.edu/pdf/SLAMMER.pdf

I wasn't aware that the 7206 and M20 classified as software-based.

(cue weasel-words about those routers using ASICs for most forwarding, but
doing multicast forwarding in software in 5.. 4.. 3..)