Vyatta as a BRAS

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Jul 13 08:53:55 UTC 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:00 PM, <khatfield at socllc.net> wrote:

> I agree software-based deployments have their flaws but I do not agree that it cannot be managed securely with comparable or exceeding uptime -vs- a drop in appliance. I firmly believe it has it's place in 'today's internet'.

When a single botted/misbehaving host easily can take down a software-based BRAS, that's a pretty strong indication that software-based edge devices are contraindicated, heh.

Software-based edge devices have been obsolete for a long time, now.  They're a great risk to operators who've yet to replace them with hardware-based devices.

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken