Hardware for 50Mbs BGP feed.WAS Rate Limiting on Cisco Router

Dylan Ebner dylan.ebner at crlmed.com
Fri Jul 9 16:43:09 UTC 2010

Yesterday we took possession of a free 50Mb connection upgrade from one of our ISPs. The previous connection was 30Mbps with a partial route table via BGP. Other than BGP, the only other complex functions the router performs is access listing the CRYMU Team Bogon table and traffic shaping. We terminate this into a 2811 running 12.4 with 512MB of memory. When the Access lists were applied we peaked the connection at 39Mbps and when the access list was removed we peaked at 43.5Mbps. The CPU was pegged at 65% with the acl and 50% without. Given the recent discussion about 80Mbps and a 7200, what would members here recommend for a 50Mb connection that we expect to grow to 100Mb in the next 18 months. We are also planning on adding netflow collection in the next year as well.

We were think of upgrading to a 3900 series, but it sounds like maybe we should be thinking bigger?

Also, how do members determine if their routers are overloaded. Besides looking at memory and CPU usage are their other statistics they look at? Are their third party tools that provide some insight into the routers condition?

Dylan Ebner