U.S. Plans Cyber Shield for Utilities, Companies

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Jul 8 17:13:25 UTC 2010

I believe the point was in response to:

"control systems that were often designed without Internet connectivity
or security in mind. Many of those systems-which run everything from
subway systems to air-traffic control networks-have since been linked to
the Internet"

If something was designed without network security "in mind" and then
connected to the internet as-is, then yeah, that pretty much is not only
"madness" but is just asking for trouble. So I am torn between this
being another exercise in treating the symptoms while ignoring the
underlying cause and at least having SOMEONE watching the front door if
the owners aren't paying any attention themselves.  But I would think
the cost of the program could be scaled back somewhat if certain basic
security practices were mandated prior to the system being installed.