U.S. Plans Cyber Shield for Utilities, Companies

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jul 8 15:26:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:12:29 PDT, JC Dill said:
> Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > What's the going rate these days that you have to pay to make sure your fiber
> > gets spliced first rather than that other customer's 10GE?

> I'm not familiar with cable break splicing procedures, but is it even
> possible to pay extra to have your splice done first?  I would think
> that the logistics of splicing are such that the guy down in the hole
> doesn't know whose traffic is on each strand in the bundle

Exactly - which is a case for just having everybody's traffic mingled on
a very busy 12-pair rather than several 96-pair with lots of dedicated links,
*everybody* ends up back in service a lot faster...

And remember - this industry has more trouble with backhoes and would-be
copper thieves than terrorists. Anybody who is defending against terrorists
by increasing their vulnerability to backhoes is, well...