U.S. Plans Cyber Shield for Utilities, Companies

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:12:29 UTC 2010

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> What's the going rate these days that you have to pay to make sure your fiber
> gets spliced first rather than that other customer's 10GE?

I'm not familiar with cable break splicing procedures, but is it even
possible to pay extra to have your splice done first?  I would think
that the logistics of splicing are such that the guy down in the hole
doesn't know whose traffic is on each strand in the bundle, and his job
is just to splice them as he matches them (using color codes or similar
on the sheaths of the individual strands) as fast as he can.  Trying to
identify a specific strand and then splicing it first would greatly slow
down the task of splicing them all.  If you have more than 1 strand that
needs to get spliced "first" it would likely take longer to identify
these "special" customers and get them done first than to just splice
with no priority and get the whole bundle done.

jc