U.S. Plans Cyber Shield for Utilities, Companies

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Thu Jul 8 14:59:07 UTC 2010

On Jul 8, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 19:16:27 -1000, Michael Painter said:
>
>> I find it hard to understand that a nuclear power plant, air-
>> traffic control
>> network, or electrical grid would be 'linked' to the Internet in
>> the interest
>> of 'efficiency'.  Air gap them all and let them apply for
>> "Inefficiency Relief"
>> from the $100 million relief fund.
>
> OK, so you airgap the whole thing, and apply for "Inefficiency
> Relief" to help
> pay for those 2,397 separate dark fiber dedicated links you need to
> contact
> your 2,397 remote sensing stations and control points. And of
> course, since you
> end up burning a *lot* of dark fiber pairs when every utility starts
> doing
> that, the provider gets to go back and put a whole lot more 96-pair
> or whatever
> alongside the previous bundle, driving prices back up after our long-
> term fiber
> glut.

I think that there needs to be a balance.

There is no Internet access to certain military systems, for example,
but that doesn't mean that the
base housing them has no Internet access. I would expect the same to
be true for, e.g., nuclear power systems. If this
has never been thought through by someone, it would not be a bad idea
to start now.

On the other hand, my friends in military networking tend to be
cynical about these kinds of exercises. They
may or may not actually increase security, in fact they sometimes
degrade it, but they tend to be very good at sending money to
politically well connected contractors.

Regards
Marshall