U.S. Plans Cyber Shield for Utilities, Companies

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Jul 8 13:51:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, Michael Painter wrote:

> Have we all gone mad?
> I find it hard to understand that a nuclear power plant, air-traffic control
> network, or electrical grid would be 'linked' to the Internet in the interest
> of 'efficiency'.  Air gap them all and let them apply for "Inefficiency
> Relief" from the $100 million relief fund.

Absolutely!  For example, those thousands of flight plans filed every day
by airlines across the globe, not to mention private flights, should be
done manually the old fashioned way, with a paper form and stopping by
your local FAA office where a human keys them into the ATC computer.  Oh
wait, we closed all of those offices when we moved all of those functions
to the Internet.  I guess we'll just have to re-open them.

And flight tracking data that airlines and freight companies use to track
their aircraft, yea, let's cut those off too.  If they want to know where
their plane is, just have them call the FAA.  Surely the government can
staff some huge call centers to handle the load of each airline calling
about each flight every few minutes.

Heck, removing all of these functions from the Internet will create jobs,
too, right?  And no one would mind paying for all of this out of their
airline tickets, it should only increase fares by a third or so.

--
Brandon Ross                                              AIM:  BrandonNRoss
                                                                ICQ:  2269442