Mikrotik & OC-3 Connection

Butch Evans nanog at butchevans.com
Sat Jul 3 21:07:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 12:22 -0700, Mike wrote:
        > Mikrotik is great at lower end stuff where you have ethernet
        interfaces.
        > Real POS OC-3 however, ain't in it's repertory and would not
        be what I
        > would choose to route at those interfaces/speeds.

        While I agree that Mikrotik and OC-3 don't go together, I don't
        know why
        you would suppose that it can't route at that speed.  It's a
        Linux
        kernel and given the right hardware, can easily handle that much
        speed.

        > However, if you must
        > 'connect mikrotik to oc-3', you might as well find yourself a
        cisco
        > router of some kind with a PA-POS-OC3 card and use it as a
        simple modem.

        Or ImageStream for about 1/2 (or better) of the price.

        > Of course, for the price, you might as well just let the cisco
        do what
        > you're planning on doing with the Mikrotik and get orders of
        magnitude
        > of functionality and stability out of it in the process.

        More functionality from a Cisco?  You MUST be joking.  MT (and
        ImageStream for that matter) can do WAY more than Cisco for a
        fraction
        of the price.  Both will offer a much better firewall option,
        infinitely
        better QOS capability and is easily as good with dynamic routing
        (BGP,
        OSPF, etc.).  What's more, you can have a spare on the shelf and
        STILL
        not spend as much money as you would for a Cisco device.

        * Butch Evans                   * Professional Network
        Consultation*
        * http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering
        *
        * http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks