Finland makes broadband access a legal right

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Jul 2 23:08:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, Steven Bellovin wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2010, at 10:51 13AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Holmes,David A wrote:
>>> Does a "... certain inventor of the Internet ..." refer to the High
>>> Performance and Communications Act of 1991, also known as the "Gore
>>> Act"? The 1991 Act, based on a study by Dr. Leonard Kleinrock ("Towards
>>> a National Research Network") created the commercial Internet that we
>>> know and work with today.
>> I don't know, but I do know that Larry Pressler was the sole sponsor of the  Telecommunications Act of 1996, which is where E-rate came from. This was when the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress, and as far as I know Senator Gore had nothing to do with this bill; he didn't even offer any amendments.
> And while Gore was president of the Senate in 1996, he wasn't Senator Gore then...

Snopes covers urban legends
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Phil Agre traces the story back to a source at the time
http://web.archive.org/web/20040603092645/commons.somewhere.com/rre/2000/RRE.Al.Gore.and.the.Inte1.html

While you can't configure your router with politics, politics sometimes
wants to tell you how to configure your routers.