Feds disable movie piracy websites in raids

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 13:31:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Franck Martin <franck at genius.com> wrote:
> The question is because gTLDs operations are in the USA, does it mean that the USA have control over all those domain names?
> Can we trust solely the USA for such control?
No.  However,  anyone signing up for a GTLD  should already have
looked into risks like that,  and there are ccTLDs....

> This will come back with a vengeance in the JPA negotiations, ICANN, etc...

Only if US officials are forcing domains owned by foreign
people/organizations to be disabled in  the gTLD registry,
based on activities of hosts  that records in those domains point to,
in that case, then, yes..

That's called  introducing  instability  into the networks of other
country's people  that are not under your jurisdiction  or operating
servers in your jurisdiction,  by attacking global infrastructure
(DNS Servers) they rely on.

By the same token, authorities could probably contrive court orders
and send to  Tier1 ISPs  demanding they drop traffic to certain IP
addresses  (in foreign IP space).

--
-J