Rogers wireless outbound mailservers have no reverse (SORBS please help?)

Ken Chase ken at sizone.org
Thu Jan 28 16:46:54 UTC 2010

Can I get a rogers engineer who not only cares but has power to crush problems
to respond to this please?

Opening tickets with RNS seems to just get a null responce, "we'll look at it" with
a hint of disbelief a customer ticket could uncover a large network-wide issue.

It's an old problem that was temporarily fixed for a while, but is now back.

 Jan 28 06:46:00 cust1 postfix/smtpd[416]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
       from unknown[74.198.8.2]: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot
       find your reverse hostname, [74.198.8.2];
       from=<sandy at customer.com> to=<tracy at customer.com>
       proto=ESMTP helo=<to5email1.gprs.rogers.com>

  $ host 74.198.8.2 8.8.8.8
  Using domain server:
  Name: 8.8.8.8

  Host 2.8.198.74.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Maybe we can get them registered on SORBS. The irony would be very tasty.
Maybe then they'll start caring. (Too much to hope for?)

Solution right now is to get all of my customers to tell their employees
to not trust outgoing rogers mailservers to get their mail out, and find alternates.

I'm not the only one who filters by lack of reverse.

I'm also trying to figure out the Rogers angle here. Ideas?

/kc
--
Ken Chase - ken at heavycomputing.ca - +1 416 897 6284 - Toronto CANADA
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151 Front St. W.