Ethernet Services cards types & queue values

Arie Vayner arievayner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 08:10:43 UTC 2010

Burak,

The idea is that you use the high queue cards as UNI ports terminating
customers, where you would have many service instances and complex QOS
policies such hierarchical shaping and multiple classes per customer.

On the core links you would usually need less queues as you would have a
generic aggregated QOS policy.

Specifically on the 7600 I think you are looking at the "regular" LAN
modules (as opposed to the ES20/ES+ modules) which have the lower queue
numbers per port. These modules (the LAN modules) also have more limited
functionality support as they do not have the ability to support many
features supported only on the ES modules.
For some services/features you would require the ES modules to be on either
UNI or NNI (depending on what you want to achieve).

For ASR9000 there are also a few module types following the same model
above. More queues for UNI and less queues (and thus cheaper) for NNI, but
in this case supporting all the different features.

Arie