Using /126 for IPv6 router links

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:43:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> some of what you're saying (tim) here is that you could: (one of these)
>
> 1) go to all your remote-office ISP's and get a /48 from each
> 2) go to *RIR's and get /<something> to cover the number of remote
> sites you have in their region(s)
> 3) keep on keepin' on until something better comes along?

This isn't really for remote offices, just our large campus sites.

> 2)
>  o justification in light of 'unclear' policies for an address block
> of the right size. NOTE:I don't think the policies is unclear, but
> that could be my misreading of the policies.

For me, this seems unclear:

6.5.4.2. Assignment of multiple /48s to a single end site
When a single end site requires an additional /48 address block, it
must request the assignment with documentation or materials that
justify the request. Requests for multiple or additional /48s will be
processed and reviewed (i.e., evaluation of justification) at the RIR
level.
Note: There is no experience at the present time with the assignment
of multiple /48s to the same end site. Having the RIR review all such
assignments is intended to be a temporary measure until some
experience has been gained and some common policies can be developed.
In addition, additional work at defining policies in this space will
likely be carried out in the near future.

>  o will your remote-office's ISP's accept the /48's per site? (vz/vzb
> is a standout example here)

Not too worried about VZ. Given that large content providers are
getting end-site address space, I think they will have to adjust their
stance.

>  o will your remote-office's have full reachability to the parts of
> the network they need access to? (remote ISP's filtering at/above the
> /48 boundary)

Remote offices aren't included in this plan.

--
Tim:>
Sent from Brooklyn, NY, United States