Using /126 for IPv6 router links

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:02:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:01 PM, TJ <trejrco at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

2^128 is a "very big number." However, from a network engineering
perspective, IPv6 is really only 64bits of network address space. 2^64
is still a "very big number."

An end-user assignment /48 is really only 2^16 networks. That's not
very big once you start planning a human-friendly repeatable number
plan.

An ISP allocation is /32, which is only 2^16 /48s. Again, not that big.

Once you start planning a practical address plan, IPv6 isn't as big as
everybody keeps saying...
--
Tim:>
Sent from Brooklyn, NY, United States