Using /126 for IPv6 router links

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Sun Jan 24 16:14:18 UTC 2010

On 1/24/2010 10:03 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:04:31 CST, Larry Sheldon said:
>
>> I remember a day when 18 was the largest number of computers that would
>> ever be needed.
>
> First off, it was 5, not 18. :)
>
> Second, there's not much evidence that TJ Watson actually said it.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Watson#Famous_misquote

I think the 18 was a UNIVAC blunder (don't remember who supposedly said
it).  Given their corporate history, I can believe it,

> Third, given that IBM had already been shipping accounting units with limited
> plugboard programmability (the model 405) for almost a decade at that point,
> it's reasonable to conclude that TJ was intentionally and specifically talking
> about high-end "if you have to ask you can't afford it" systems.  And if you
> look at the Top500 list now, 65 years years later, it's still true - there's
> always 2-5 boxes that are *way* out in front, then a cluster in spots 5-20 or
> so, and then a *really* long tail on the way down to #500.
>
> http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/vintage_4506VV4006.html

It may surprise some folks to learn that there were several computer
makers--IBM was not the first, not the best, and not the stupidest.

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs