1/8 and 27/8 allocated to APNIC

Brian Dickson Brian.Dickson at concertia.com
Fri Jan 22 19:49:58 UTC 2010

I think it would certainly be useful, both diagnostically and operationally,
for IANA and the RIR's to *actually announce* the unused space, and run either or
both of tar-pits and honey-pots on those, for just such a reason - to gauge problems
that might exist on "unused" space, *before* the space is assigned.

And, it'd be nice if there were a check-box for "I volunteer for the pain".
In the movies, where something bad can happen and they draw straws, it is almost
always drawing straws from among volunteers.

There are certainly reasons for wanting to identify and not assign space that has "issues",
to certain recipients or when certain conditions exist.

E.g.: critical infrastructure /24's; initial assignments (where the recipient doesn't
gave another block into which to internally interchange addresses); less technically adept
recipients (e.g. in the developing nations, where adding "pain" would really be unusually cruel.)

Brian