1/8 and 27/8 allocated to APNIC

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jan 22 19:36:31 UTC 2010

In a message written on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 07:09:00PM +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> What portion of 1/8 is untainted?  Or any other /8 that the IANA has
> identified as having problems?  How do you measure it?  How do you ensure

I, personally, am quite skeptical that any of the /8's are tainted
to the point where they are unusable.

However, as an example of something I would say rises to the level
of tainted.  Remember a few years back Netgear hard coded the IP's
of the UW time servers, and then shipped a few million boxes, which
on by the way had a bug so they asked for time too often?

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/

The result was a 40,000 packet per second flood.

If an RIR was to give out a block with that sort of taint (e.g. UW
returned that block, or something out there defaults to contacting
1/8 in a similar manor) then I think it's reasonable for the RIR
to mark it as tainted, work with the people to get it fixed, and
give folks other address space.

Hopefully the RIR could work with the party involved and eventually
return the space to service.

> IANA hands out /8s.  We know that some of these are going to cause serious
> problems, but life sucks and we just have to deal with what happens.

Pretty much.