1/8 and 27/8 allocated to APNIC

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jan 22 18:27:25 UTC 2010

In a message written on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:32:30PM -0400, Brian Dickson wrote:
> So, if the tainted *portions* of problem /8's are set aside, you end up with sets of varying
> sizes of /N. E.g. if there is one /24 that is a problem, you set that aside, and end up with
> a set that consists of one each of /9 through /24. Even if you set aside a /16, you get a set
> which is /9, /10, /11, /12, /13, /14, /15, and /16.

If the tainted portions were going to be set aside, it makes much
more sense to me that they be set aside at the RIR level and simply
not be counted against the RIR when they go back to IANA for more.

It makes the bookkeeping much simpler.  When you go to IANA's web
site 1/8 went to an RIR.  You can look there to find the few /24's
that couldn't be given out.  The alternative is to blow up the IANA
allocation list by several orders of magnitude, for no good reason.

Really though, we need the squatters to feel pain.  They are the
ones in the wrong.  Unfortunately who ever receives the allocations
will also feel pain.