Enhancing automation with network growth

Tom Wright TWright at internode.com.au
Fri Jan 22 00:54:06 UTC 2010

Hi Steve,

Our MRTG is fully automated.  We ditched cfgmaker (too slow) in favour of our own developed Perl using the Net::SNMP module from CPAN.

If you use 'non-blocking' SNMP calls, Net::SNMP can be blisteringly fast.

In the case of our routers/switches, we query our NMS (assume this is just a table of hostnames and IP addresses) for a list the devices we want to graph, and then re-generate MRTG configurations a few times a day - meaning that we pick up new devices/port changes automatically.

Capital expenditure = $0 :)

-- Tom