Housing situations sought for the family of Reynold Guerrier

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Thu Jan 21 22:07:47 UTC 2010

Naturally, I didn't make all the local connections I could have before
I needed them when I went to NANOG-45, graciously hosted by Terremark.

I think it is unlikely that any of the three paths -- parole from
Homeland Security, visa from State, and Congressional action, are
likely to occur within finite time. Not only is the situation on the
ground profoundly difficult, but we constantly encounter questions
about the necessity of network continuity at all, or the value of any
one person maintaining the operational integrity of the NAP/IXP/uW
relay serving the Haitian government, on-site NGOs, and cellular traffic.

So I'm turning again to the Operator Community for help. If you have
contacts in the DR that could help Reynold's wife Dominique and their
children, Nikki, age 3, and Aurelia, age 1, please send them to me.

Housing for four. When Dominique and the kids are secure, Reynold is
going back to the data center in Boutillers, which consists of the
microwave relay to the Dominican Republic, the Internet Exchange point
(IX) he normally operates, and Network Access Point (NAP), since the
event. There is no other skilled person present. Basically, Reynold
has inherited the entire facility, as the operator of the IXP hosted
in the larger data center, and some technicians, who he now provides
for and manages.

The distance from Port au Prince to Santo Domingo is 5 hours, road
condition and boarder control time included.

Eric