Emergency power generators

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Jan 21 19:17:56 UTC 2010

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Mike wrote:
>
> > site owners a solution to test and verify generator operation. Does anyone
> > have any pointers to possible solutions or vendor white papers I could look
> > at? We probably want to verify start, read voltage to verify output, and
> > maybe even gauge fuel in the tanks if thats possible.
>
> Start with the generator owner's manual.  You'd be amazed at what helpful
> maintenance suggestions can be found there.  Sometimes they're even
> online... :)

Seriously, "talk to your vendor."  You can frequently get gear with
remote reporting, some of it will do dry contact or even talk RS232.
If you can not, a lot of it can be measured anyways.

If your gear doesn't "support" it, talk to generator service guys who
are well-thought-of in your area.  I'd place good odds that they'll be
happy to outfit you with a computer-readable fuel level indicator,
oil pressure, remote test, etc., etc., though they may be smiling their
way to the bank and thanking you for all the custom work.

... JG