Patents, IETF and Network Operators

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Jan 21 18:52:16 UTC 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 1:29 PM, George Bonser wrote:

> [...]

Yes and no -- don't confuse the purpose of a patent with the rights it gives you.  A patent is not the right to do something; it's the right to keep others from doing it.

The purpose, though, is as you say: in exchange for publication of your ideas, society gives you a limited-term monopoly.

I should add: patents can help society not just because it sees your ideas, but because of the monopoly: people are motivated to invent around your patent.