Emergency power generators

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Jan 21 17:48:17 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,

Northern California is getting pounded hard by storms, as we do most
every year, and have quite a few electric outages as a result. Of
particular note however is that we have experienced a number of remote
and inaccessible microwave backhaul sites where the on-site generator
has failed to engage, leaving us with 9 hours of battery. Sometimes,
fortunately, that's enough to carry us through. Other times, like now,
it's not. I don't want to lecture the site owners about routine testing
procedures and so forth, but it seems that we need to become experts on
the topic and we would like to offer these site owners a solution to
test and verify generator operation. Does anyone have any pointers to
possible solutions or vendor white papers I could look at? We probably
want to verify start, read voltage to verify output, and maybe even
gauge fuel in the tanks if thats possible.

No sales droids please, just helpful information based on experience at
this time.

Thank you.