Patents, IETF and Network Operators

Scott Brim scott.brim at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 16:09:45 UTC 2010

Jorge Amodio allegedly wrote on 01/21/2010 10:41 EST:
> As an starting point you should read "The Tao of the IETF" RFC4677 (currently,
> update draft in progress).
>
> About your particular question read section 8.4.5.
>
> Regards
> Jorge

Right.  And it's subtler than you think.  Some network operators have
patents (not just vendors).  Some are held by organizations that only
exist to hold patents and don't actually know much about networking.
And just because something is patented doesn't mean it isn't
interoperable -- most networking standards are patented.

swb