New netblock Geolocate wrong (Google)

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Jan 19 01:22:34 UTC 2010

On Jan 18, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Rosenberry, Eric wrote:

> I just lit up a new IP netblock (assigned directly from ARIN) and the companies that provide Geolocate databases do not have the correct location information available yet.
>
> Specifically Maxmind (http://www.maxmind.com/) thinks we are in Canada and IP2LOCATION (http://www.ip2location.com/) has no data.
>
> For the most part this is benign or at worst slightly impacting since I often get redirected to global load balance nodes up in Canada instead of locally in the North West, however, the more major issue I am running into is that Google chooses to redirect all my users to www.google.ca<http://www.google.ca>.
>
> So my questions to others are:
>
> 1.       How do I get my data updated in all of the geolocate providers databases as quickly as possible?
>
> 2.       What geolocate database does Google use (is it homegrown?) and how do I get them to update my data?

http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/request.py?contact_type=ip

If it is urgent / lots of users are grumping at you, feel free to send me an off-list mail including the information asked for on that page and I'll follow up internally.

Something that I have often wondered is how folks would feel about publishing some sort of geo information in reverse DNS (something like LOC records, with whatever precision you like) -- this would allow the folks that geo stuff to automagically provide the best answer, and because you control the record, you can specify whatever resolution / precision you like. Based upon the sorry state of existing reverse, I'm suspecting that there is no point....

--
"Beware that the most effective way for someone to decrypt your data may be with rubber hose." --- SSH 1.2.12 README