Virbl: The First IPv6 enabled dnsbl?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sun Jan 17 19:16:58 UTC 2010

On 16 Jan 2010, at 05:30, Tammy A. Wisdom wrote:

> Mark Schouten <marks at bit.nl> wrote:
>> http://virbl.bit.nl/index.php#ipv6
>> Comments on the listing method are appreciated.
> wow bind?  thats gonna get slower and slower and slower.  I hope you have a TON of ram for that box. for example
> if we loaded the current contents of the ahbl from rbldnsd to bind it would take up a TON of ram.   bind would take forever to load and and would be screaming for its dear life.

These problems tend to have a way of solving themselves...

This dnsbl is trying to get experience handling v6 data in an anti-spam environment.  We do not know how to do that today - and this is a problem which only reduces with experience.  The problems of how to scale it, to me seem like a smaller challenge. There are enough clever people who understand how to scale specific dns issues. :-)

Good luck to the team at Virbl !

Andy