SORBS on autopilot?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Jan 15 18:42:44 UTC 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Michelle Sullivan wrote:

>> 2) SORBS robot reponds with "you must change your rDNS."

> ... or respond to indicate why you think the robot is wrong...

This does not work.  Our provider has been told that unless the in-addr was changed to include the word "static", the listing would not be lifted, full stop.  And yes, this was after entering tickets & following other procedures.  (How do you think we got a human to respond?  I don't post these things to mailing lists or newsgroups, just like I am not giving the provider's name or ticket number here.)

Personally, I do not mind telling people "you must enter a ticket" or at least try the automated system.  If there are ways to have the user help themselves, all the better.  But lying (either Michelle in this thread, or the volunteer who responded to us) is not only unproductive, it is downright destructive.

I also note that many other DULs have self-removal for nothing more than asking.  Bots do not ask.  These other DULs are more widely used, some have better metrics (both FPs and blocking rates, probably because providers are willing to work with them), and no one bitches about them in public, as people do about SORBS every week or few.

--
TTFN,
patrick