Are IPv6-only Internet services viable today?

david.binet at orange-ftgroup.com david.binet at orange-ftgroup.com
Fri Jan 15 09:37:02 UTC 2010

Hello,

Thank you for launching such useful discussions for operators. IPv6 introduction in mobile networks is certainly one major issue we have to consider for services and business development.
As you stated, pressure on public and private IPv4 addresses is more and more important and we have to envisage IPv6 deployment in following years to avoid issues you are presenting in your mail.
To do so, I think we need to converge on IPv6 introduction scenarios and requirements before investgating technical solutions. For example, if one trigger for IPv6 introduction is the lack of IPv4 addresses, we can not rely on some dual stack connectivity for IPv6 introduction and the only perennial solution will consist in allocating IPv6 only prefixes to UE, allowing to identify them without any ambiguity at least. Once such option has been retained we have to consider valid scenarios. Do we want that these only-v6 connected terminal access to IPv4-only Internet and walled garden services ? Do we want that some (piece of) IPv4 applications on the terminal access to IPv4 applications with an IPv6-only connectivity ?...IPv6 only services may be relevant, at least in some further stages of IPv6 integration.
Once we have retained valid scenarios we have to deploy technical solutions to answer such needs. NAT64 for example may be needed but it has to be challenged with other solutions, including proxys solutions, DS-Lite, A+P...Actually NAT64 that is a flavor of NAT44, already largely deployed in mobile networks, may be a solution hoping that applications will be more and more DS and that IPv6 native communications will grow. I think we have to avoid some technical solutions based on some several translation mechanisms for an IP session.

David

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.