Are IPv6-only Internet services viable today?

Xiaoliang Zhao xleonzhao at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 03:58:32 UTC 2010

> My question to the community is:  assuming a network based IPv6 to IP4
> translator is in place (like NAT64 / DNS64), are IPv6-only Internet
> services viable as a product today?

Well, speaking for CERNET2 (2nd Gen. of China Education and Research
Network), it is a "production" network today in the sense that it
connects 100+ china universities, and it runs IPv6 only.

> In particular, would it be
> appropriate for a 3G /smartphone or wireless broadband focused on at
> casual (web and email) Internet users?  Keep in mind, these users have
> NAT44 today.

That's actually a very good question. My personal take is 3G/4G *is*
the best fit to IPv6, and it will be a win-win situation if we combine
them together. At wireless side, there will be a LOT more addresses,
unblocked end-to-end communication, location and ID separation, and
maybe more new applications based on information carried in IPv6
header. At IPv6 side, we need larger user base, more contents, more
applications to make IPv6 really take off, and 3G/4G can make that
push.

Regards,
Leon