Are IPv6-only Internet services viable today?

Jim Burwell jimb at jsbc.cc
Thu Jan 14 23:00:36 UTC 2010

On 1/14/2010 11:10, Cameron Byrne wrote:
> Folks,
>
> My question to the community is:  assuming a network based IPv6 to IP4
> translator is in place (like NAT64 / DNS64), are IPv6-only Internet
> services viable as a product today?  In particular, would it be
> appropriate for a 3G /smartphone or wireless broadband focused on at
> casual (web and email) Internet users?  Keep in mind, these users have
> NAT44 today.

You may also want to read up on Dual Stack Lite (DS-Lite)
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-02>,
presuming you haven't.  I know you mentioned you didn't like any
dual-stack solutions, but the thing about DS-Lite I like is that it has
no problem with RFC1918 overlap of different customers, since the CGN
uses a tunnel ID in the connection/NAT table in addition to the other
typical data.  I just wonder how it will scale, since each device, or a
gateway the device goes though, will require a IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnel to
the CGN box(es).  Also, it doesn't require a DNS-ALG like NAT64/DNS64.