Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 13 19:26:25 UTC 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Barry Shein wrote:

> There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about RFID tags. I'm hardly
> an expert but I do know this much:
>
> RFID tags are generic, you don't put data into them unique to your
> application.

Part of the original (or at least early) context for this thread was recovery of default passwords.  If the password is F(ser#), it's only learnable if you know both F() and ser#.  The vendor knows F() -- who knows ser#?  If it's in an RFID tag, or is DBlookup(tag#,vendor_db), being able to read this admittedly-arbitrary number may indeed be a threat.