more news from Google

Anthony Uk uk-nanog at dataway.ch
Wed Jan 13 16:31:44 UTC 2010

On 13.01.2010 06:24, Ken Chase wrote:
> I must say I'll have to take a step back from my previous position/postings
> having read this article.
>
> I just can't figure out their /ANGLE/. :)</cynic>
>
>    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-approach-to-china.html
>
> Well played, google?
>
> /kc

 From the article:

"Second, we have evidence to suggest that a primary goal of the
attackers was accessing the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights
activists. "

I have orders of magnitude fewer users than gmail does, and often look
at their mailboxes (with their consent, of course), but I still couldn't
tell you the political position of any of them (apart from the politicians).

The ability to automatically discern users' political positions from
their inbox is not one that any email provider reasonably needs.

Anthony

--
|  Anthony Uk            |  dataway GmbH     |  Tel. +41 44 299 9988   |
|  uk at dataway.ch         |  Hohlstrasse 216  |  Fax  +41 44 299 9989   |