Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Jan 13 18:15:37 UTC 2010

On January 13, 2010 at 12:55 standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com (Matt Simmons) wrote:
 > That would be excellent for both the administrator, and anyone walking
 > down the row with a wand in their pocket.

All an RFID wand would give you is a unique id number for each tag in
range which someone with access to an inventory database would look up
to find the associated record for other info.

It would be mostly useless info to "anyone...with a wand."

I suppose my question is more in the realm of whether the environment
is too RF noisy for RFIDs to be reliable, do such systems exist at
that scale (can I buy 1,000 RFID tags and a wand? I'd think so but I
don't know.) Also, would RF shielding in racks make it tricky to get a
good wanding?

Anyhow, just a thought.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada