ICSI Netalyzr launch #2

vern at ee.lbl.gov vern at ee.lbl.gov
Wed Jan 13 15:42:33 UTC 2010

Folks, you may recall that last June we released a beta version of Netalyzr,
a Java applet you can run by surfing to netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu (or to
netalyzr.com).  It measures a bunch of the properties of an end user's
network access, particularly looking for transparent modifications (e.g.,
hidden proxies or blocking), connectivity restrictions, DNS modifications,
and some security issues (e.g., whether the DNS resolver is vulnerable to
the Kaminsky attack).  You can see a sample report at:

	http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/restore/id=example-session

That launch was fairly successful (~50K users).  Since then we've been
working on a bunch of improvements, and today we've gone out of beta with
an updated version, so you may be hearing about reports your customers
have gotten from it.

Also, as Netalyzr forms the foundation for a large-scale measurement
study of the Internet's edge, to the degree that you pass along the word
so that more people run it, that would be highly helpful with us gathering
comprehensive data for the project.

	Thanks,

		Vern

Vern Paxson