BGP testbed tools

Ben Jencks ben at bjencks.net
Tue Jan 12 20:27:52 UTC 2010

This is obviously a rookie question, but I haven't found anything by
searching. I'm looking to set up a small testbed to simulate our
internal network topology, and I want to have a realistic BGP table
from the fake "upstream" routers. Ideally what I'd like to do is dump
the BGP table from our production routers, strip the immediate
neighbor AS, and load the table into Quagga or OpenBGPD to advertise.
I'm running into two problems: how do you dump BGP tables in a
machine-parseable format from IOS, and how do you make the route
server advertise the routes as they were in the original table,
including the full AS-path, communities, etc? If Quagga/OpenBGPD
aren't the right tools, I'm happy to use something else.

This seems like it would be a pretty standard thing to do, but none of
the tools I've found seem aimed at this sort of testbed.

Thanks!

-Ben Jencks