qwest outage no notice

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Jan 7 17:04:13 UTC 2010

> Yeah, they refused to notify due to security concerns from what they
> told me last night. Notification was performed after maintenance was
> complete.

Ok, so the next question is, what harm would a simple advance notice of
'emergency maintenance' caused, vs the very real hassle and
inconvenience that DS3-down in the middle of the night caused for
operations staff? I personally was yanked out of bed by my network
monitoring systems and had to spend at least 5 minutes looking at logs
and perf monitors and so forth so I had enough information before making
the call to qwest support, thinking we took a hit on our fiber. Some
others reported getting 7 or more hours of advance notice - this would
have been enough for me, even tho of course I don't like it - and I
suspect it could have saved many many others from a similar fate of
responding to the event so late.

Just saying "we need to do this", does not give the bad guys any ammo
with which to attack, and would go a long ways twords preventing
needless heroics such as middle of the night investigations by senior
staff. The follow up email we subsequently received was fine and we
appreciated learning it really was a necessary upgrade and seems
justified now with that knowledge, I would simply have appreciated not
having to engage my emergency processes for something that was planned.

Mike-