Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Jan 7 04:06:51 UTC 2010

One of the problems I have seen is an organization where someone uses
something stupid just to get something up and running (say a password of
"password" or "foo" or something) with every intention of coming back to
fix it later but forgets to.  That is what I meant yesterday about an
organizational "default" password that can be just as bad as the
manufacturers default.

At least with some manufacturers you can log in from the console with
the factory "default" password but can't log in over the network unless
you have set one.