D/DoS mitigation hardware/software needed.

Bill Blackford bill at billblackford.com
Tue Jan 5 04:09:40 UTC 2010

A lot of this has to do with scaling the environment. I've had plenty of
asa's and even netscreens fall over from state-table and session
limitations. I've also seen a hosts fill up the connection table prior to a
firewall being affected. I'm not familiar with the specs and anyone can
chime in, but the newer variety of SRX's, I believe implement more in
hardware as line-rate routers do. A layered approach is useful as well. If
the source can be identified via netflow and null routed before it gets to
the firewall and content layer, then all the better. This is much more
tricky with DDOS so having robust firewall that can eat traffic is helpful.

My 3 cents

-b

--
Bill Blackford