dark fiber and sfp distance limitations

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Jan 1 22:52:33 UTC 2010

I am looking at the possibility of leasing a ~70 mile run of fiber. I
don't have access to any mid point section for regeneration purposes,
and so I am wondering what the chances that a 120km rated SFP would be
able to light the path and provide stable connectivity. There are a lot
of unknowns including # of splices, condition of the cable, or the
actual dispersion index or other properties (until we actually get
closer to leasing it). Its spare telco fibers in the same cable binder
they are using interoffice transport, but there are regen huts along the
way so it works for them but may not for us, and 'finding out' is
potentially expensive. How would someone experienced go about
determining the feasibillity of this concept and what options might
there be? Replies online or off would be appreciated.

Thanks.