Locations with no good Internet (was ISP in Johannesburg)

gordon b slater gordslater at ieee.org
Sat Feb 27 10:53:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 19:20 -0500, Daniel Senie wrote:
> Hopefully someone will bother to cover the rural areas with cell
>  service eventually.

I'm finding a fair number (about 40%+) of the tech-savvy
"must-have-for-business-emails" users here in very rural UK out of reach
of RA-ADSL) are using/have used Lynx as their browser and Mutt as email
client, in some cases even when 3G (fringe reception only, possibly with
tropopausal involvement*) is sometimes reachable.

This only came to my attention last week when I noticed a strange
Mailer: header and kinda shocked me at first, so I quizzed the sender
further. They say that WAP-enabled sites are a non-starter for "daily"
use.

Worth looking into if the end-user can handle it in these situations.
Rural DSL for them usually means Damn Small Linux - their joke not mine.

Gord

(* I'm not convinced about this - it fits their anecdotes, but I'm not
sure about the timing/latency issues of the RF-side )

--
Explain to me again how pig's bladders may be employed to prevent
earthquakes